How much weight can I haul in my cargo trailer?

Home Forums General comments or questions How much weight can I haul in my cargo trailer?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

We received the following question from a cargo trailer owner:

Please let me know what my trailer weight is empty, and what is the maximum to haul with stuff in it. I have a Buick Encore and I can not pull anything pass 2,000 lbs. if I read the paper work right, the trailer is 2,210 lbs empty.

If your numbers are accurate, even when your cargo trailer is empty, you may be already at the maximum towing weight as specified by the manufacturer of your vehicle.

You need to check the VIN label on the front side of your trailer and confirm the weight of the trailer.

What size is the trailer?

Based on the information you have provided, it looks like you have a 5X8 cargo trailer.
    To calculate the answer do the following:
    2990 (GVRW) – 790 (trailer weight) = 2200 lbs of cargo capacity.

Be careful to find out if Encores are recommended to tow a trailer. The cooling system and the suspension may also not be designed for towing. Damage to your transmission can occur and you may not even know it until it’s too late.

Be sure and check the owners manual “General Towing Information” and make sure. Otherwise, if you damage your vehicle it may not be covered by warranty.

It is better to be safe than sorry!

If you have any more questions just post them here on our forum.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General comments or questions’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Cargo Trailer Guide | Reviews & Classifieds
Logo